Upper Valley Trails Alliance
The Upper Valley Trails Alliance is a new coalition of widely varied groups from the Upper Valley who use and care for the area's trails. The Alliance acts as a regional resource for trails: improving communications and coordination, supporting sustainable use of trails, increasing public awareness and building greater support for the trail networks.
The mission of the Upper Valley Trails Alliance is to convene Upper Valley groups related to trails and serve as a resource for those groups to: identify existing trails and potential links, determine trails appropriate for multi and limited uses, protect trails and the concerns of landowners, and promote stewardship and education about trails. The Alliance will bring people interested in trails together to explore developing new trails and linking existing ones, work on use issues, and form new bonds between conservationists, landowners, recreationalists and economic interests in the Upper Valley to promote our region as a place with a superb quality of life, open space and abundant opportunities to enjoy the environment.
The formation of an alliance will result in:
- A more integrated network of trails through the Upper Valley communities
- A place to share information about how to create and manage trails
- A way to educate the public about limiting the impact of their trail use
- A forum for trails people to discuss trail issues
- More volunteers involved in creating and maintaining trails
- Greater public awareness and use of trails
- A clearinghouse of information for those interested in trails
- Coordinated advocacy for trails on issues such as public access, landowner liability, land conservation, and trail-project funding
As the Alliance is in its formative stages, we welcome any trail group or individual who is interested in partnering with other trail groups on trail development or maintenance in the Upper Valley. We also welcome your input about the trails in your town and your ideas for this new Alliance. Please contact us at our host organization,
Vital Communities of the Upper Valley,
104 Railroad Row,
White River Junction, VT 05001.
The Upper Valley Trails Alliance is building relationships with a wide array of interests, including the
This page was copied on December 25, 1999 by Kenyon F.
from the printed fact sheet issued by UVTA.
Unintentional errors are likely!
- Appalachian Mountain Club
- Appalachian Trail Conference
- Ascutney Trails Association
- Cardigan Highlanders
- Charlestown Trails Club
- Connecticut River Joint Commission
- Dartmouth Co-Op
- Dartmouth Outing Club
- Ford Sayre Ski Council
- Friends of the Northern Rail Trail
- Lyme-Pinnacle Snowmobile Club
- Marsh Billings Rockefeller NHP
- Montshire Museum
- National Park Service
- New England Sled Dog Assoc.
- New Hampshire Department of Resources & Economic Development Trails Division
- Norwich Trails Committee
- Omer & Bob's Sports Shop
- Plainfield Trail Blazers
- Student Conservation Association
- Upper Valley Land Trust
- Upper Valley Nordic
- Upper Valley Planning Commissions, Boards & Regional Planning Commissions
- US Army Corp of Engineers
- Vermont Forest, Parks and Recreation
- Vermont Mountain Bike Advocates
- Vital Communities of the Upper Valley